Corset man’s corner

In the mid-1980s, at the peak of the Wasp’s waist fashion craze, Toronto’s largest manufacturer of women’s corsets was the Crompton Corset Company.
For a while, they employed nearly 400 workers and produced about 8,400 corsets a week.
Unlike other corset manufacturers at the time, instead of using whales or steel as a support, they used a Mexican plant material called ixtle, claiming that it is far superior to other products in terms of durability and comfort. .
The Clempton corset was a huge success in the 20th century and lost its popularity as fashion tastes changed.
If the name Crompton seems familiar to you, it should be.
At the northern end of Barrie, just near Livingstone Street, you’ll find Crompton Drive. Named after Edwin Blackburn Clapton, the street left its mark on the city more than 130 years ago, and his time is at least still at least one Victorian building he built.
The corner of E.B. is most relevant to Campton, the northwest junction of Irving and Dunlop Street, where there are Dollarama stores and the National Bank.
There were many companies here before and after the day in Crompton, but his existence is still visible.
Early in Bari as a commercial town, the Henry Fraser Hotel is located on the south side of Dunlop Street. It is more or less located at J’Adore today at 123 Dunlop St. E., just at the water’s edge.
These were the days when the shore was filled before the arrival of the railway in 1865.
During that time, Owen and Dunlop corners were home to the General Store of William and Henry Bowes, followed by Sanford’s Store.
When Fraser’s Hotel was burned in the Boys Block fire in 1873, the business was moved to the corner of Irving and Dunlop. The hotel was also lost in the 1875 fire, taking out from most of the timber-framed buildings in Claptonton on the north side of Dunlop Street to Owen Street.
E, B Crompton had the opportunity to build a beautiful brick shop for himself in a suddenly vacant business district.
He opened his new product in late 1875, with a rather gorgeous Canadian name, Golden Beaver. This store is located in the western half of the now Dollarama store.
Almost as Compton moved into his new brick building, he began building another brick structure next to the actual corner of Irvine and Dunlop Street.
The western third of the building, now part of the dollar store, was originally occupied by chemist John Woods. The rest is Henderson’s hardware for many years.
The full cost of this impressive corner building is $4,000!
Jonathan Henderson retired in 1900, followed by another hardware man named Hambly.
Jamesville, the grocer and the one-time mayor of Barry, quickly moved his grocery business to this corner and stayed until 1914. When the Bank of Toronto rented the building for a long time, Vair vacated the corner.
E, B From about 1870 to 1888, Compton carried out various commercial activities in Bari in more than one place. He sells dry goods, clothing, women’s hats, and of course the famous corsets produced by his brother Frederick’s company in Toronto.
In 1888, Crompton learned about Brantford merchants, W.H, for a long time. Brethour, who is about to retire, decided to leave Barry and take over the business. His Barrie store was subsequently sold to George Reedy.
Mr. Crompton continued to fight in Brantford until the fire of 1915 destroyed his store. That day he and his staff barely escaped life.
In his later years, E.B. Crompton moved to Toronto. He has some commercial interest in his brother’s corset company, but mainly spends time planting roses and grapes in his garden.
He died in 1929 at the home of Dr. Charles Clapton, the son of Toronto.
He is 82 years old.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *